Monday, August 26, 2019

Grandpa Diaries 8/8/2012 - Where I'm At

Where I'm At Right Now: Taking Stock and Creating A Plan


The doctors have advised that Grandpa have 24-hour supervision/care, meaning that I have to find him a place to go to or a person to be here all the time. Right now, I'm researching places, but I'm leaning toward anything that the VA will help with, because that makes it more affordable. They have a home that I'm applying Grandpa for that has a memory care facility, but they don't pay for it outright; I believe they only provide some assistance. Also, they have a long (9 month) waiting list. But that is an option.

If we need to pay a significant amount (which I'm expecting in the long run), then we'll need to sell the house and the cars. My brother wants me to fix up the house as soon as possible, and that of course costs money too, but I think selling the cars will help with that. I'm so grateful that Wayne is helping. He's going to help me sell the cars and hopefully get the will and health care directive taken care of. Our lawyer suggested that my grandfather itemize everything (cars, house, etc.) but now I think that's kind of pointless. Especially since I want to sell the things... It's easier to do that and use the money for Grandpa than it is to try to figure out something without it and then no doubt argue with my mother later. And she has to leave this house, and the only way she'll do it is if we sell it. Otherwise, she thinks that if Jake or I take the house she can just stay here. Not happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment