Monday, August 26, 2019

What Do You Do?

Originally started in 2012

I'm a very busy person. Between grandfather-sitting, managing his home, and volunteering, I definitely "keep out of trouble," whatever that really means.

Yet, when someone asks me "What do you do?" upon meeting me for the first time, or just making conversation, I immediately jump to "I'm unemployed," as if this is the perfect summation for how I spend my time, or the singular phrase upon which I estimate my self-worth.

It's not their fault, nor mine. In our society, we've been molded to believe that what we do constitutes who we are. But that's not the truth. And what we really need to do is fix the answer with the question. We need to change the culture.

What I should have answered was, I am a caretaker. I am working for a non-profit right now. Whether it's volunteer or not shouldn't matter, and I suppose I could leave that out - or not. Either way, it doesn't matter what I'm doing so that I am becoming something more.

No comments:

Post a Comment